Packaging Waste

Do you need to report your packaging use for 2016?

2 mins

Are you obligated under the packaging waste regulations? Don't forget to request your free packaging waste report.

Are you obligated under the packaging waste regulations?

If so, we produce free packaging waste reports of all the packaging purchased from us for 2016 by material and weight to help make your job of providing this information and meeting your obligations easier.

Read on for further information on the packaging waste regulations...



If your business handles more than 50 tonnes of packaging in a calendar year and has a turnover of more than £2 million per year you are legally obligated to comply with these producer responsibility regulations.

The obligations apply to the total amount of packaging that your business handles, not the amount of packaging waste that your business produces and is valid if you;

  • Manufacture or convert the raw materials used to make packaging
  • Pack or fill packaged products
  • Supply packaged goods to the end user
  • Lease or hire out packaging, such as pallets
  • Import packaging, packaging materials or packaged goods into the UK

If you are obligated as a company you are required to annually:

1. Register with the appropriate environment agency

England & Wales – The Environment Agency (EA)

Scotland – The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA)

2. Complete an annual data submission detailing the amount and type of packaging you have handled. That's where we come in, we provide all of our customers with free Packaging Waste Reports to help make this tasks much easier.

3. Calculate the number of tonnes of packaging waste your company must finance the recovery and recycling of – this is known as your ‘obligation’

4. Purchase recycling evidence (called Packaging Waste Recovery Notes (PRNS)) to meet your obligation

5. Submit the recycling evidence to the relevant environment agency

Further information is available on

Packaging regulations guidance on the GOV.UK website (link is external)