Over the years, more and more people are choosing to go vegan, whether that be for animal cruelty concerns, environmental concerns, or simply to just try and be healthier. They have also started asking questions about the packaging their produce comes in, enquiring how it was made and what was used in the process.
This means manufacturers have started to re-think the packaging they produce, looking at more plant-based options whilst ensuring it is also animal-free. Packaging has often been made using animal derivatives. For example, adhesives can be manufactured using animal-based gelatine, and some lubricants used on production machines can also be animal-fat based.
For this reason, there is now a growing popularity in vegan packaging, particularly in the food industry. This is because consumers who follow a vegan diet, also want the packaging to be vegan friendly too, and rightfully so. But what vegan temperature-controlled packaging is available as of now for the food industry?
In this article, we will be exploring the vegan packaging trend and the types of vegan temperature-controlled packaging available today, including our own new vegan thermal liner.
The Vegan Packaging Trend
The vegan movement is spreading further each year. Even in the clothing sector, there are now alternatives to wool or leather, and vegan cosmetics are no longer niche products either.
With packaging, it is important that the whole life cycle is taken into consideration to determine whether the packaging is truly vegan friendly. The adhesives for vegan packaging must be free of “glutin” and “casein” for a start as these contain bone glue made from animal waste products. The general rule is that materials such as dyes, lacquers, adhesives, and additives must be guaranteed free of animal compounds for the packaging to be classified as vegan friendly. Vegan labels can be produced using synthetic adhesives, but these must not cause any issues for recycling as not only would this drive the price of the products up, but also it wouldn’t be environmentally friendly.
In the food industry, reliable temperature-controlled packaging is vital when shipping perishable food products to ensure they are kept within a specific temperature range to help preserve their quality and safety. But how can you ensure that the temperature-controlled packaging you provide is also more vegan-friendly?
- Use less packaging: the zero-waste concept is on the rise and companies are beginning to turn to streamlined packaging options. Many are also using smart alternatives made from products like seaweed or grain waste from breweries.
- Choose eco-friendly alternatives: consider using eco-friendly alternatives such as re-usable packaging, recyclable mailers, or compostable packaging.
- Use paper or plant-based packaging: plant-based packaging is made from renewable, lower carbon or recycled materials. It is compostable and does not contribute to landfill making it sustainable and beneficial to the environment.
- Avoid plastics where possible: 91% of existing plastic in the world has never been recycled. It can also pollute the oceans and land, and animals can also choke on this material. Switching to paper-based packaging is one way you can limit the amount of plastic you use. Contact our packaging experts today to find out more about what you can be using instead.
What vegan temperature-controlled packaging is currently available?
When it comes to paper and plant-based packaging, PLA and PHA are the only two vegan plant-based materials for packaging. PHA has a promising future when it comes to vegan temperature-controlled packaging, although it is considered a more niche material.
There are always new inventions arising though. Did you know that an Indonesian-based start-up company has created a replacement to plastic packaging made from seaweed? You can even eat it! This new type of packaging is also biodegradable and can be used as a natural fertilizer for plants if you do not fancy eating it. Seaweed is far less damaging than plastic since it decomposes and will not end up in the oceans. It also is known to absorb carbon dioxide from the air while it grows and does not need water, fertilisers or any other resources making it incredibly sustainable to produce.
With the need to reduce plastic waste becoming an urgent issue, it is really promising to see new packaging inventions arising.
Our new vegan-thermal liner is perfect for food packaging
At Swiftpak, we are excited to introduce our new sustainable alternative for insulating packaging – a vegan thermal liner. Perfect for shipping fresh or frozen food, our new insulated pouches and insulated boxes are made from 100% recyclable materials and can be disposed of in paper waste.
The advantages of our new vegan thermal liner are as follows:
- The vegan thermal liner is climate-neutral and made from recycled paper.
- It has a high insulating effect as well as high shock absorption.
- Saves up to 70% of the costs in dual system compared to an equivalent EPS box.
- Results in space-saving delivery and storage and is safe for use with food.
- Added bonus of flexible consignment.
To find out more about our new addition, please contact our packaging experts today and they will be happy to tell you all about it!
Vegan temperature-controlled packaging from Swiftpak
The topic of vegan packaging is on the rise and within the next few years there is sure to be more smart packaging inventions that are vegan-friendly and support the zero-waste trend. At Swiftpak, we are always trying to innovate and explore new packaging solutions as caring for the environment is really important to us.
If you would like to find out more about our vegan-friendly packaging, please feel free to contact our packaging experts today to find out more.