Did you know it has been predicted that by 2025, 70% of consumers will be purchasing food and beverage products online? To meet the rising demand, many food and drink companies are building their online presence and remodelling their original food packaging designs in order to maintain freshness and quality.
However, this can come with challenges where food is concerned. To ensure a positive customer experience, companies must carefully consider the journey a product takes from warehouse to the end destination, ensuring the packaging allows food to remain in the right temperature and well-protected throughout.
There is a growing need for food and drinks packaging that maintains brand image and quality during the long haul from warehouse to the end destination. However, this becomes difficult when people are growing increasingly more concerned with the volume of packaging that is being used and the impact it has on the environment. So, how can you ensure you have the best ecommerce packaging for your food products whilst still making sure it is well protected and kept within the right temperature?
In this article, we will be sharing the best ecommerce packaging for the food industry along with some tips so you can make sure your goods maintain quality and freshness.
Temperature-controlled packaging keeps food and drink fresh
Reliable temperature-controlled packaging is vital when shipping perishable food and drink products including meal kits and pet food. Frozen or chilled ecommerce packaging ensures items are kept within a specific temperature range to help preserve the quality and safety of a product.
Swiftpak have over 40 years of experience in the food and drink packaging industry, so we know how important it is that your products stay protected. The packaging we often recommend are:
- Vegan Thermal Liner: our new temperature-controlled packaging solution has a positive C02 balance verified by more than 1,000 climate tests in internal and external laboratories. It is also 100% vegan and outperforms competing solutions in both frozen and fresh shipping conditions.
- Gel packs: our variety of gel packs meet the highest industry standards and are durable and reusable, always keeping items fresh and safe through the required temperature.
- Dry Ice: ideal for transportation of perishable food products as it inhibits the growth or decline of certain biological products, and it sublimates without leaving any residue or waste. It is great for shipping meal kits of pet food due to its reliability and temperature stability.
Finding the right-sized secondary packaging
With ecommerce packaging, it is crucial that you find the right sized packaging for the food or drink products you are trying to ship. Having a carton with too much space will increase the chances of damage during transit, which of course will lead to a very unhappy customer.
At the same time, it’s also important to not go overboard with the Voidfill and other protective packaging products as this would increase packaging waste and curbside recycling. Not only that, but it doesn’t look good to an eco-conscious customer that wouldn’t want to be dealing with all that extra waste either.
At Swiftpak, our packaging experts will be happy to help you find the perfect package to fit your items and our in-house packaging designer is constantly innovating and coming up with new ideas. Please contact us today and we will be happy to help you with your ecommerce packaging.
Sustainable ecommerce food packaging
Customers are becoming increasingly more aware of the impact they have on the environment. Survey research has shown that more than 80% of participants felt it was “important or extremely important” for companies to design environmentally conscious products. Similarly, The Nielson Global Survey found 52% of respondents said their sustainable purchase decisions were influenced by packaging and they were also willing to pay extra for sustainable products.
This shows that from production to delivery, a sustainable approach to food ecommerce packaging is crucial to secure happy returning customers. By adopting primary, secondary, and tertiary packaging specifically designed to support ecommerce purposes, sustainability can be achieved.
Food and drink packaging we recommend at Swiftpak
At Swiftpak we know how important it is that your perishable products stay in the best condition possible during storage and distribution. With our BRC certification, we guarantee compliance with food safety and high hygiene standards. Some of the food packaging products we recommend are:
- Gift Packaging: Uniquely designed packaging, styled to perfection. With the help of our in-house designer who has worked together with many food and drink companies, we can design the perfect packaging for your ecommerce food products.
- Direct to Consumer: We provide fun and effortless packaging for products that are marketed and distributed directly to customers.
- Vegan Thermal Liner: With over 48 hours of stable internal temperatures, high shock absorption, and a positive CO2 balance, the vegan thermal liner is ideal for shipping foods that require a controlled environment.
- Kraft Paper Gel Packs: These gel packs can be disposed of through the normal waste stream and causes less pollution than the normal variety. The kraft paper absorbs some of the condense which can appear, keeping your products dryer than normal gel packs.
- Supatak Machine Tape: Ideal for long production runs, Supatak Machine Tape performs well through all temperature ranges, including deep freeze. It is also resistant to splitting, abrasion, and moisture, making it suitable for food packaging operations.
Ecommerce food packaging from Swiftpak
At Swiftpak, we are aware of the growing popularity of ecommerce and how ecommerce sales in the food and beverage sector are projected to increase significantly by 2025. This means that food and drink brands should start planning now for the online sales that is sure to come.
If you are needing help creating the perfect ecommerce packaging for your food products, please contact us today and we will be happy to help.